Theology Teacher Posted: 04/03/2017
POSITION: Theology (2017-2018 school year)
REPORTS TO: Principal
Hire, develop and retain highly-qualified, outcomes-driven, risk-taking, innovative, flexible, collaborative, reflective, faith-filled and generous women and men whose hearts are on fire.
-from Saint Martin Bold Initiatives 2014
Saint Martin de Porres High School is an urban Catholic college-preparatory high school dedicated to working exclusively with students of modest means. Our program includes an innovative Work-Study component: we partner with local corporations who recognize the importance of investing in young people to develop habits of mind and spirit that will lead them to college and career success. Eighty percent of our students will be the first in their extended families to attend college. Saint Martin was founded in 2004 and is chartered by the state of Ohio and accredited through the Ohio Catholic Schools Accrediting Association. Our mission is to transform urban Cleveland one student at a time; we are committed to the values of work, study, service, leadership and prayer. We are a member of the Cristo Rey Network of schools founded in 2001.
TEACHERS AT SAINT MARTIN DE PORRES HIGH SCHOOL:
- Embrace the Saint Martin Mission, Vision and Guiding Principles as well as the Cristo Rey Network Standards of Mission Effectiveness.
- Engage with professional learning teams that promote and require collaboration, peer review, and multidisciplinary lesson planning.
- Work with students at all levels of learning utilizing differentiated lesson planning and teaching techniques.
- Develop and submit for review lesson plans in accordance with the school’s curriculum.
- Model a work ethic characterized by diligence, persistence and dedication.
- Communicate regularly with students’ parents/guardians.
- Participate in Corporate Work Study Program and Admissions events as needed.
- Coordinate and participate in field trips and extra-curricular activities.
- Understand that the school is in the ongoing process of developing innovative policies in education. The teacher must be flexible in all matters involving teaching, school administration and program and curriculum development.
- Use informal and formal assessments to make adjustments to classroom teaching in order to support and track student learning.
- Integrate on a daily basis the existing technology of the school and expected future significant enhancements, including Smartboards, iPads, Chromebooks, grading programs and other associated hardware and software (i.e. PowerSchool, Schoology, Google Educational Apps). Use of relevant technology must be a significant part of the daily lesson structure.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THEOLOGY TEACHERS:
- Must be Roman Catholic pursuant to Diocese of Cleveland requirements.
- Master’s Degree preferred; however, a Bachelor’s degree with appropriate experience will also be considered.
- Diocese of Cleveland High School Catechist certification preferred
Prefer 3+ teaching years in an urban environment
REQUIRED SKILLS AND TRAITS:
- Committed to urban education
- Flexible and open to growth
- Effective communication, both oral and written
- Well-organized and attentive to details
WORK PHILOSOPHY/ ATTITUDE:
- Understands and completely embraces the Saint Martin de Porres High School mission and the Cristo Rey Network’s Ten Standards for Mission Effectiveness
- Person of faith but not necessarily Catholic
- Animated by a love of teenagers and a commitment to social justice
- Appreciates that the school is driven by its Catholicity which focuses on the highest level of ethical, moral and social behavior of its students, staff and volunteers
- Able and willing to do what it takes to get the job done even if it is not directly related to your job description
- Strong sense of being a team player
- Health and Dental Insurance
- 401k Matching
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Basic Life Insurance
- Internal On-going Professional Development as well as reimbursement for external professional development
- Eligibility for Student Loan Forgiveness (see https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/teacher for information)
Interested candidates may send a cover letter and resume to Mrs. Kerry Capka, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Saint Martin de Porres High School encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission.
Saint Martin de Porres High School is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.